The packaged coconut milk boxes you find in your local grocery store are not your best bet for a healthy toxin-free diet.
They contain unhealthy chemicals such as preservatives, artificial flavors and sweeteners. Just read the list of ingredients printed on the box of Starbuck’s coconut milk and you’ll find out for yourself what I mean…
A real natural coconut milk contains of only coconut and water. But, as you can see in the image above, this coconut milk contains many chemicals and unhealthy ingredients such as Carrageenan (cause digestion problems), Gellan Gum (cause bloating and gas), Added Sugar, Natural Flavors, Synthetic Vitamin D2, and Corn Dextrin (cause gastrointestinal issues). Most of them are just unnecessary additives and preservatives which just put a serious strain on your body by overloading it with toxins.
But there are many health foods and recipes, like Golden Milk, which call for coconut milk…
Where can we find natural and healthy coconut milk?
The good news is that creating coconut milk is surprisingly easy and you can make it at home in literary 10 minutes! Creating coconut milk at home is also much cheaper than buying it from grocery stores.
Here is the recipe on how to make organic coconut milk at home:
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2-4 cups water
- Place shredded coconut and water in a pan. The amount of water you add depends on your preference. If you prefer a more creamy milk add 2 cups of water. But if you prefer to have a less creamy and more watery milk add 3 or 4 cups of water to it.
- Leave the mixture to simmer for a few minutes.
- Blend it for 5 minutes using a hand blender or an ordinary blender.
- If you’re planning to use your coconut milk in a soup you can use it without filtering. But if you want to use the coconut milk as a drink, then you need to filter it. Use a muslin cloth, cheese cloth, fine mesh sieve, or nut milk bag for filtering. You can keep the sediments aside for later use in cooking, adding them to your smoothies, or using them as coconut flour.
- Your delicious coconut milk is ready! You can keep it in the fridge for maximum 5 days before its taste start changing.
Watch the following video tutorial on how to make organic coconut milk at home:
If you’re short on time or don’t like cooking at home, you may prefer to simply buy it from a grocery store rather than messing with it at home.
Well, if that’s the case with you, so be it. But just don’t buy a box of unhealthy, toxic coconut milk from your local grocery store. There are some online organic healthy grocery stores and brands which produce healthy, toxin-free, and PBA-free coconut milks.
Check out the following list of some organic coconut milk brands for more info:
As you see, creating organic coconut milk at home is so cheap and easy. Have you ever tried to make coconut milk at home? Do you know of a better homemade coconut milk recipe? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comment section below.
If you find this recipe useful and interesting don’t forget to share this page with your friends and encourage them to make their own coconut milk!