We are living in a toxic world. The polluted air in our large modern cities floods our lungs with loads of harmful toxins. The chlorine which is available in all city tap water, and hose water too, makes its way into our bodies through showering or drinking them.
Fast foods, canned foods, hormone-injected and antibiotic-laden meats, saturated oils, and dairy products all flood our bodies with toxins. Our hectic modern lifestyle also puts a heavy burden of stress on our bodies and minds.
Our body uses it’s own detoxification system to flush away the toxins and get rid of them. But when there are huge amounts of toxins residing in our bodies, the detoxification system cannot handle them all and stores the toxins in our fat cells to prevent them from hurting our body.
In the long run, the accumulated toxins puts a lot of burden on our body’s key organs and tissues which can lead to adverse health effects.
Lots of detox diets, plans, and programs have been designed in order to eliminate toxins and enhance well-being. The majority of these methods require you to manipulate your diet or change your eating habits.
But Dr. Mercola and Dr. George Yu introduced us with an innovative method to get rid of toxins stored in our fat cells without calling for any dieting change. They use
What Is Niacin and What Does It Do?
Niacin is a type of vitamin B, known as vitamin B3, which is considered as a necessary nutrient for your body in order to function normally.
Niacin is a colorless and water-soluble compound which has received a lot of attention and support in health and wellness communities due to its significant effects on lowering cholesterol, preventing heart attacks, treating pellagra, and etc.
Niacin is available in three different forms:
- Niacin – plain niacin is the active form of the medication. It’s water-soluble and gets absorbed quite quickly. Whenever you take this form of niacin it will trigger a visible skin reaction known as “niacin flush“. It temporarily makes your skin red, especially the face and the upper parts of the body, and develops a sensation of blushing. You may also feel a heat like the hot flashes women experience during menopause. This flushing is not harmful. But why does niacin cause flushing? It happens because niacin produces vasodilation, i.e. the dilation of the blood vessels of your skin. This feature of plain niacin have made it an ideal tool for detoxification.
- Niacinamide – despite the plain niacin, niacinamide does not make your body flush and is typically used in dietary supplements like multivitamins. Unlike niacin, niacinamide when used in high doses cannot help with lowering cholesterol levels.
- Inositol Hexaniacinate – this form of niacin, like niacinamide, does not make your body flush but it helps in lowering cholesterol levels. So this form of niacin is not also suitable for detoxification purposes. Inositol Hexaniacinate is commercially sold with the name of niacin, so when buying niacin to detox your body you should pay ample attention to purchase the plain niacin which can be used for detoxing but not Inositol Hexaniacinate.
Niacin As a Detox Agent
The liver, as the primary detoxification organ of our body, plays an important role in neutralizing and removing toxins. Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Vitamin C, Zinc, and Magnesium are the most crucial vitamins and minerals needed to support the liver detoxification process.
Niacin can release the toxins and heavy metals stored up in fat cells. This special characteristic of Niacin inspired Dr. Mercola and Dr. George Yu to devise a method which helps you to safely detox your body very quickly and effectively.
In this method you take some Niacin to release the toxins stored in fat cells, then you use exercise, sauna, and charcoal in order to help you excrete the released toxins from the body.
Below is the step-by-step instructions on how to do it:
100 mg of plain niacin, the type of niacin that cause flushing, but not a non-flush type niacin.
- A few minutes after taking niacin do a 20-minute intense cardio workout like jogging, jumping rope, biking, or running on a treadmill. As a rule of thumb, any kind of exercise that can increase your heart rate and make you sweat will do the job.
- Cool down a bit, and then take a 40-minute sauna. If you have never practiced sauna then doing a 40-minutes will most probably be too long for you. If so, you must do it in three 15-minute intervals. Infrared sauna, if you have access to, can be a better option than the ordinary sauna because it penetrates the skin layers and heat the body more deeply and will lead to more sweating and a deeper detoxification.
- After sauna, take a few
activated charcoal pills, 500 mg as recommended by Dr. Yu, in order to accelerate the detoxification process. Charcoal absorbs the released toxins and helps you excrete them through the gastrointestinal tract. Please make sure not to take activated charcoal with other medications or supplements because it will absorb and eliminate those medications too.
- During the next few hours drink lots of purified or mineral water to complete the detox cycle.
- Congratulation! You have successfully used niacin to cleanse your system out of toxins. the next step is to make some lifestyle changes and diet modifications to keep your system clean. Avoid using junk foods and use healthy organic foods instead. Drink lots of water during the day and exercise regularly.
WARNING : The toxins that have been released by using niacin should be eliminated from your body, through exercise and sauna, as soon as possible or it may cause serious damage to your internal organs like liver, kidney, or brain. So, within 15 minutes at most after taking niacin make sure to do the workout and go for sauna.
If you don’t have access to sauna, you can also use niacin in conjunction with “epsom salt and ginger bath” as a viable alternative. Although this heavy metal detox bath is less effective than sauna or infrared sauna, but it still does work pretty well when used with niacin.
If you want to take this route, simply follow the steps depicted above but instead of going for a sauna in step 4 simply fill the bathtub with hot water and add one cup of
How often should I do niacin detox and how much niacin should I take each time?
That’s the question I’m most frequently asked. According to Dr. Yu, doing a niacin detox once or twice per week will suffice for the vast majority of people in order to keep them toxin-free.
The niacin detox dosage is 100mg of pure niacin (the type of niacin that causes flushing) for each time. Niacin detox, if done on a regular basis, can help you to lose weight more quickly, so if you’re involved in a weight loss program you can do this detox more often, 3 or 4 time a week, in order to accelerate the weight loss process.
To learn more about the details of the workings of this detoxification method read this article from mercola.com
Other Health Benefits of Niacin
As mentioned earlier, the health practitioners use niacin as a viable supplement to lower cholesterol levels of their patients, prevent heart attacks, and treat pellagra.
We also described in detail how to use niacin as a detox agent. But new researches have revealed that the perks of taking niacin is not just limited to the niacin benefits mentioned above.
There is evidence that niacin would be useful in helping fight off insomnia when taken with tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid which forms the building blocks of serotonin and melatonin, two neurotransmitters which improve our mental health and sleep quality.
Tryptophan is the natural constituent of all sorts of protein-rich foods such as poultry, eggs, milk, yoghurt, fish, chicken, red meat, and etc. Taking a small amount of niacin, between 100-500 milligrams, about 20 minutes before bedtime seems to ease the insomniac to sleep.
New evidence suggests taking relatively larger amounts of niacin daily and on a regular basis can help overcome depression and anxiety.
Since a you need to take a larger amount of niacin to fight off depression and anxiety, I highly recommend you to take them only under the supervision of a qualified physician or healthcare practitioner.
Niacin Side Effects and dosage
Although niacin is considered as a safe non-prescription drug but that does not mean that you are allowed to overdose on it, because it may cause detrimental side effects if taken in large amounts without the supervision of a qualified physician or healthcare practitioner.
That said, taking a 100 milligram tablet of
It should be noted that, taking a niacin pill must be followed with intense exercise and sauna (or detox bath) in order to facilitate the exertion of released toxins.
If, based on your physical condition, you are required to take a dosage higher than 100 milligrams, I highly recommend you to consult your doctor before embarking on it.
The doctor usually advise you to start with an small dosage of niacin, like 50 milligrams per day, and gradually build up to the desired amount.
As mentioned previously, the most common side effect of niacin is flushing which is due to the dilation of skin vessels. This flushing effect is temporary and will disappear after 10 or 20 minutes.
Diabetics and those suffering from peptic ulcers should avoid using niacin in large quantities.
It is also a good idea to incorporate foods that are high in niacin into your meals, in order to increase your levels of niacin and reap the health benefits of this essential vitamin.
The foods high in niacin are: fish (like salmon, tuna, and anchovies), prawns, red meat, organ meat (like kidney and liver), pork, poultry, eggs, nuts and seeds, beans, wheat products, leafy greens, celery, tomatoes, turnips, crimini mushrooms, carrots, and asparagus.
Compared with niacin supplements, the amount of niacin available in niacin foods is pretty low. So, in order to do a detox or correct the niacin deficiency, you are required to take a niacin supplement to deliver results.
Niacin (vitamin B3) is a safe nutritional supplement that can effectively be used as a detox agent to draw toxins out of your body without having to go on long-term detox diets.
Niacin makes your body flush and though this flushing effect may last only for a few minutes, but it can be really uncomfortable for some people. The intensity of this detoxification method also makes it a not fit for all solution. Older people and those suffering from some health problems may find it too taxing.
If I want to cleanse my body from deep inside I would prefer a full-fledged detox diet over this relatively intense practice. The reason for this is that dieting not only will cleanse your body in a deeper level, though in a much more slower rate, but it will also provide the body with essential nutrients required for it to revitalize and rejuvenate.
That said, detoxing with niacin is a really great way to get rid of toxins much more quicker than dieting. If you have been exposed to highly toxic chemicals like mercury using a niacin detox would be a more viable alternative than dieting in order to cleanse your body, because niacin would help you to remove toxins out of your body very quickly before they do it any harm.
Finally, I would like to remind you that you need to use only the plain form of niacin in order to achieve success with detoxification goals. It may be easiest simply to buy it from a reputable online store like amazon.